Mar 16, 2010

Ramtheerth

From Halasi; a short drive on a dirt track, I turned right into a mango garden and parked the car. From here I had to walk. Not a soul around. I could see the rock hill with a little temple sitting on it's top. I wanted to find out the path leading to the temple. I ran into a ittangi bhatti ...a brick yard.


I found a family who lived here. I wonder if this little house is cool inside. These people pointed out the path and asked me if I was not worried about going alone. I said I'm used to going around by myself.


The path snaked through a paddy field then through woods with patches of dirt and rocky surfaces, shady and sunny, went though a almost dry stream bed. I imagined how it would be trek here in rainy seasons. I heard many bird but saw few ...difficult to spot them in the foliage. I saw one bird about the size of a robin with long tail feathers ...gave me no chance to shoot.


Rocks here are granite ...being quarried. Man just cannot let nature alone.

This seems like a little temple made by quarry workers.


I must have walked for about 20 minutes to reach the temple atop the rock hill. As you see it's a temple made of roughly finished stones.


Water was not inviting, in fact the pond looked scary with it's dark green slimy water. Little frogs scampered across the pond.


As I went closer to the temple, I heard a voice ...mantras being chanted. I stepped into the temple, found a man snoring away in bliss. Inside the sanctum sanctorum two elderly men were going through a ritual of Shivalinga Pooja. It was Makar Sankranti; I guess these men were offering special pooja.




A smaller, roofless structure housed this Shiva Linga.


This rock looks like a lizard head


and a tortoise head from here.



The place was silent and a light breeze helped take the heat away. I wanted to explore more but I had to be back in Dharwad. I've made up my mind to visit this place some time September 2010 ...by which the place should be green and fresh.



.........

No comments: