I discovered this museum July 2013. First I had seen only the sculptures embedded into the compound wall besides the road. Mid October I happened to notice one of the statues beyond the wall, in the open ground. That's when I discovered a bunch of sculptures in the ground. Two of them were fixed into the fountain pool wall. I guess these were collected by a high ranking police officer during British rule.
This arch marks the entrance to police quarters colony. On the right hand side of the road is a collection of ancient sculptures embedded into a wall.
Perhaps these are remains of a Chalukyan temple. The style and design of some pieces are similar to sculptures at Nagareshwara Devastana at Bankapur and Shambulingeshwara Devastana at Kundagol.
![]() |
| scale model of a Shikhara |
![]() |
| pieces used to form the backrest of Sukhanasi |
![]() |
| scale models of columns and Rekha Nagari Shikhara |
![]() |
| pair of Keerthimukha |
![]() |
| pair of Hoysala style lions flank a row of Shikhara |
![]() |
| Keerthimukha |
![]() |
| Saptamatrika and Ganapati |
![]() |
| Jaina Theerthankara sheltered by a seven headed serpent |
![]() |
| 4' tall Vishnu |
![]() |
| crown seems incompleete |
![]() |
| rear side of Vishnu's statue |
![]() |
| lathe turned pillars with square base |
![]() |
| temple model mounted on a pedestal |
![]() |
| peacock motif on a lathe turned pillar |
![]() |
| a pillar with Kannada inscription |
![]() |
| Kannada inscription |
![]() |
| decorated fountain pond |
![]() |
| Kirtimukha |
A short distance from here is Prashantadhama ~ Durga Devi temple complex of police head quarters and Varakavi Da Ra Bendre's favorite spot Sadanakere.
.........
























felt happy to see here....i used to see these sclulpture during my morning walk .
ReplyDeletethank you
ReplyDelete