Sep 13, 2010

Amboli Ghats

I heard about Amboli sometime January 2010. Not the right time of the year to visit- that's my opinion. During rainy season the streams would be flowing, cascading and diving of hills... that's when we got to see during our visit mid July.

This trip was with two uncles, two cousins and a brother-in-law and my uncles family friends ...11 in all. A Trax Cruiser was hired for the trip. We left Dharwad by 6 30 AM, drove towards Belgaum. We stopped at Hotel Milan for breakfast and continued our journey towards Amboli. It was green every where... trees, paddy fields, hills, valleys...


We stopped by to check out this plant which covered entire hills ...looked just like a tea estate.


Our third stop was at Nangatarasakari Temple and Waterfall.


As you see this is a very unique waterfall... looks as though the shaft is man-made... like an open-well.



The pictures above do not describe the scene fully ...you should watch the video.



Our next stop was at a sight-seeing point...


Except for this pavement nothing caught was in my interest ...very slippery.


Our next stop was at Amboli Dab-Daba- the most popular site on this stretch. In fact for tourists coming from Belgaum side this is the last sight-seeing point. If you drive along the road you'll reach Goa.


Two cousins and the BiL climbed up the cement steps leading to the base of the waterfall. I was in mood to get wet, I stayed back with the rest of the group.



I bought a roasted sweet corn for twenty rupees ...what a rip-off!


To escape the trouble-some monkeys, I went walking with the corn in my hand... a cave like formation on one of the adjoining hills.


Our next destination was Hiranyakeshi Ugamastan- birth place of river Hiranyakeshi.


Scene under the bridge was interesting.


Check out this short video to see a natural tunnel formation.



A ten minute walk brought us to this temple and a little cave. Water flows from under the temple flows into the little pond and flows in the jungle. Even though the place was filled with people, I did not find it noisy. The jungle created a different ambiance.


Inside the cave I had to bend at the waist.


This definitely an ideal spot for families to have fun. We had lunch watching a noisy group play in water.


After lunch I went exploring the woods. I liked the place. I wish to revisit next rainy season.


We walked back the ten minute stretch in rain. Drove back towards Belgaum.

.........

10 comments:

Ace said...

Hi Siddheshwar,
Awesome pics.Will be taking some photography tips from you.
Regards,
Abhijit

Manjula Umesh said...

Stunnig pics & video of waterfall have made this post very impressive. I'm happy to see green, beautiful places thru your blog posts... :)

https://www.med-chemist.com said...

I agree with Abhijit (Ace),
Amature ----------> Professional!.

siddeshwar said...

Thank you Abhijit, Manjula and Dr.Umesh.

sivasankar said...

hi sidd,
u done a good job,
pics were nice .

with reguards,
sivasankar

siddeshwar said...

@ sivasankar Thank you.

I visited Amboli ghats June 2011, it was very different experience ...not something I enjoyed. A good majority of the crowd was drunk, running around in undies, vulgar singing, obscene dances... what not. Worst of all was rowdy behavior from elderly folks, that was too much to bear. I wish people know the limits and learn to behave in public places.

L.G. SUNIL KUMAR said...

Nice place to visit.

Unknown said...

Hi

i'm planning to go to amboli falls
could you please let me know how to reach there

we will be leaving on friday, reach belgaum on saturday.
from there we need to reach amboli falls

but we are planning to cover kankumbi falls on sunday

please giude me.



thx
Likith

siddeshwar said...

Hi Likith,
Belgaum - Amboli is less than 100 kms, I think. You can cover important spots of Amboli in one day. Kanakumbi is another direction i.e. in Chorla ghats around 60 kms from Belgaum. Cab drivers should have good knowledge about road conditions and distances, you must check with them.

Wishing you a great time!

তারিণী খুড়ো said...

This is one of the best travel Blog I have ever encountered.
Amboli is a name which is not much popular among tourist fraternity. However this biodiversity hot-spot is all set to mesmerize you by its awesome beauty. For all the latest and up-to-date information on Amboli Tour just log on to: http://easytouristguide.com/off-beat-tourist-places/amboli-lesser-known-hill-resort-of-maharashtra.html