Apr 1, 2009

Mekedatu

This trip was sometime 2003 or 2004. This is river Cauvery before the Sangama, calm and smooth. Arkavathy merges into Cauvery and then flows Mekedatu and eventually into Tamil area.

My college time friend Satish and his family Shefali & Shobha. The 4km bus ride from Sangama to Mekedatu was a bumpy one. During my previous visits, I had walked both ways which makes it a 8 km trek on a rough path.

The mighty Cauvery flowing through a narrow gorge. The water level is slightly less than its level in my first visit which was in 1985 0r 1986. That trip was with my parents, brother and classmates from PES College. My father had taken some awesome pictures of Mekedatu with a Canon SLR. You could see them at Appaji's photography at Mekedatu.
This is the narrowest part of the river, the speed of water is supposed to be around 70kms per hour. This is where a goat jumped across the gorge while being pursued by some jungle cat and that tale behind the name of this spot Mekedatu - the goat's crossing.

This was a dry part of the year and hence less water. It would be great to see when there's more water.

This stretch is past the 'goat's crossing'. The surface appears calm again. I realized that the water surface was calm before & after the narrowest part the gorge. This is akin to the calm before the storm and calm after the storm.

On the way back, I had walked almost half the distance when the bus caught up with me.
.........

1 comment:

anupavanje said...

wow.....cant beat nature's creativity.....!!!!