Apr 22, 2023

Chennigaraya Devastana, Turuvekere

...continued from Moole Shankareshwara Devastana.
Jan 27, 2023. My plan for the morning was to cover temples of Vignasante, Turuvekere and Araluguppe. I started with Lakshmi Narasimha Devastana, Vignasante and then drove to Turuvekere. At Turuvekere, I first stopped at Beteraya Devastana but the temple gates were locked, I moved to Gangadhareshwara Devastana which was under renovation. I missed seeing the deity, saw only the big idol of Nandi and the stone bell. Then a minute's walk away was Moole Shankareshwara which too was under renovation but I could see the deity and the inside of the temple. Then I walk to the last item on Turuvekere list, Chennigaraya or Chennakeshava Devastana, just 300 meters away. On the way I knocked on the Archaka's house door and requested for a Darshan. The Archaka obliged and let me see the deity, a beautiful idol of Vishnu made of black stone. Photography of the interior wasn't allowed, I can show only the exterior.
This is the east-facing Ekakuta temple with a Mukhamantapa, a Sabhamantapa with Natyamantapa, a Antharala and Garbhagudi. The Garbhagudi plan is star-shaped. As per inscriptions on the walls this temple was completed early XIII Century CE. Inscriptions at this temple are said to be of XIII Century and XVI Century.
This temple has seen some repair work recently hence it's good condition. This is relatively simple in terms of ornate sculpture but an elegant structure. The Mukhamantapa (porch) has four turned pillars and a Sukhanasi (seating platform). Each of the pillars of ancient structures like this are an assembly of 3 or 4 self-aligning components. They are designed to maintain equilibrium during earthquakes.
This is the Mukhamantapa ceiling. Nine lotus flowers grace the spaces formed by the roof slabs.
On the lintel beams are several lines of Kannada inscription.
The external walls are in standard design seen in most ancient temples of our land.
Coming to the rear of the temple, we get a full view of Garbhagudi walls and Shikhara. This temple like Moole Shankareshwara and Vignasante Lakshmi Narasimha is a completed structure. For the reader's information, I would to add here that the two temples of Nagalapura are incomplete, work had stopped for some reason. 
North-eastern view. The temple platform has been washed with water, it was a nice feeling to walk barefoot on freshly watered stone slabs.
Time to move on to my next destination- Araluguppe. Before that I had to take care of hunger. I went in search of an eatery serving tatte idli. I found one opposite APMC yard. Though the place was a little cramped, food served was fresh-n-hot.
Just as I finished breakfast, my friend Sridhar called me after being unreachable for two days. He was on his way to Bhogasandra which is about 13 km from Nittur. Our original plan was to travel together from Bengaluru to Bhogasandra. The plan was to catch up at Bhogansandra now. However, I was supposed to travel back to Dharwad that afternoon soon after Araluguppe visit. So the decision to go to Bhogasandra was on hold for time being.
.........

No comments: